- Period: 2013/10/18 - 2016/10/20
- Region: Galapagos
- Variables: Temperature(z, p), Salinity(z, p), Doppler Velocity (z, p), Depth-average Velocity(p), time(p), latitude(p), longitude(p), where z=depth, and p=profile id
- PI(s): Daniel L. Rudnick, W. Brechner Owens, Kristopher B. Karnauskas and T. M. Shaun Johnston
- Funded by: National Science Foundation; Global Ocean Monitoring and Observing (GOMO) Program - NOAA.
Spray underwater glider operations were conducted during 2013-2016 west of the Galapagos Islands to observe the equatorial
All the data for this project is available in CF compliant netCDF(s), thus ancillary metadata is embeded inside those.
When using this dataset, please cite:
Rudnick, D. L., Owens, W. B., Karnauskas, K. B., & Johnston, T. M. S. (2020). Repeat Observations by Gliders in the Equatorial Region [Data set]. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Instrument Development Group. doi: 10.21238/S8SPRAY0090
We strongly recommend the netCDF listed above. If you prefer, alternative formats are available through our ERDDAP server.
Some basic plots of this project are available for preview.
- Rudnick, D. L., W. B. Owens, T. M. S. Johnston, K. B. Karnauskas, J. Jakoboski, and R. E. Todd, 2021: The equatorial current system west of the Galápagos Islands during the 2014-2016 El Niño as observed by underwater gliders. Journal of Physical Oceanography;
- Karnauskas, K. B., J. Jakoboski, T. M. S. Johnston, W. B. Owens, D. L. Rudnick, and R. E. Todd, 2020: The Pacific Equatorial Undercurrent in Three Generations of Global Climate Models and Glider Observations. Journal of Geophysical Research-Oceans;
- Jakoboski, J., R.E. Todd, W.B. Owens, K.B. Karnauskas, D.L. Rudnick (2020), Bifurcation and upwelling of the Equatorial Undercurrent west of the Galápagos Archipelago, J. Phys. Oceanogr., 50, 887-905;