- Period: 2009/06/06 - 2014/01/16
- Region: Western North Pacific
- Variables: Temperature(z, p), Salinity(z, p), Depth-average Velocity(p), time(p), latitude(p), longitude(p), where z=depth, and p=profile id
- PI(s): Daniel Rudnick
- Funded by: Funded by the Office of Naval Research
The overarching goal of OKMC was to quantify patterns of flow and fluxes of mass, heat, and salt, for the ultimate purpose of establishing predictability. Spray underwater glider observations focused especially on the North Equatorial Current and the Mindanao Current.
All the data for this project is available in CF compliant netCDF(s), thus ancillary metadata is embeded inside those.
When using this dataset, please cite:
Rudnick, D. (2020). Origins of the Kuroshio and Mindanao Current [Data set]. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Instrument Development Group. doi: 10.21238/S8SPRAY9131
We strongly recommend the netCDF listed above. If you prefer, alternative formats are available through our ERDDAP server.
Some basic plots of this project are available for preview.
- Schönau, M. C., D. L. Rudnick, G. Gopalakrishnan, B. D. Cornuelle, and B. Qiu, 2022: Mean, annual and interannual circulation and volume transport in the western tropical North Pacific from the Western Pacific Ocean State Estimates (WPOSE). Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans;
- Schönau, M. C., H. W. Wijesekera, W. J. Teague, P. L. Colin, G. Gopalakrishnan, D. L. Rudnick, B. D. Cornuelle, Z. R. Hallock, and D. W. Wang, 2019: The End of an El Niño: A View from Palau. Oceanography, 32, 32-45, doi: 10.5670/oceanog.2019.409;
- Schönau, M. C., & Rudnick, D. L. (2017). Mindanao Current and Undercurrent: Thermohaline structure and transport from repeat glider observations. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 47(8), 2055-2075;
- Schönau, M. C., D. L. Rudnick, I. Cerovecki, G. Gopalakrishnan, B. D. Cornuelle, J. L. McClean, and B. Qiu (2015). The Mindanao Current: Mean structure and connectivity. Oceanography, 28, 34–45;
- Schönau, M. C., & Rudnick, D. L. (2015). Glider observations of the North Equatorial Current in the western tropical Pacific. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 120(5), 3586-3605;
- Qiu, Bo, Daniel L. Rudnick, Ivana Cerovecki, Bruce D. Cornuelle, Shuiming Chen, Martha C. Schoenau, Julie L. McClean, and Ganesh Gopalakrishnan. (2015). The Pacific North Equatorial Current New Insights from the Origins of the Kuroshio and Mindanao Currents (OKMC) Project. Oceanography, 28(4), 24-33;
- Rudnick, D. L., S. Jan, and C. M. Lee, 2015: A new look at circulation in the western North Pacific. Oceanography, 28, 16-23;