- Period: 2007-04-15 to 2011-08-09
- Region: Western North Pacific
- Variables: Temperature(z, p), Salinity(z, p), Doppler Velocity (z, p), Depth-average Velocity(p), time(p), latitude(p), longitude(p), where z=depth, and p=profile id
- PI(s): Daniel L. Rudnick and T. M. Shaun Johnston
- Funded by: Funded by the Office of Naval Research
The overarching goal of these Spray underwater glider missions was to observe internal waves in the Kuroshio and South China Sea near the Luzon Strait.
All the data for this project is available in CF compliant netCDF(s), thus ancillary metadata is embeded inside those.
When using this dataset, please cite:
Rudnick, D. L., & Johnston, T. M. S. (2020). Glider observations in the Kuroshio and South China Sea [Data set]. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Instrument Development Group. doi: 10.21238/S8SPRAY0101
We strongly recommend the netCDF listed above. If you prefer, alternative formats are available through our ERDDAP server.
Some basic plots of this project are available for preview.
- Johnston, T. M., Rudnick, D. L., Alford, M. H., Pickering, A., & Simmons, H. L. (2013). Internal tidal energy fluxes in the South China Sea from density and velocity measurements by gliders. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 118(8), 3939-3949. Chicago;
- Rudnick, D. L., Johnston, T. M., & Sherman, J. T. (2013). High‐frequency internal waves near the Luzon Strait observed by underwater gliders. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans, 118(2), 774-784;
- Rudnick, D. L., S. Jan, L. Centurioni, C. Lee, R.-C. Lien, J. Wang, D.-K. Lee, R.-T. Tseng, Y. Y. Kim, and C.-S. Chern, 2011: Seasonal and mesoscale variability of the Kuroshio near its origin. Oceanography, 24, 52-63;